23 May 2007

Off to find Russia

It turns out that I'm in Russia to do more than blog about funky food and collect Lenin busts. I almost forgot about that dissertation I'm supposed to be doing research for...

And so, I'm getting out of Moscow tonight to start doing surveys/interviews with "real Russians" in the provinces of Tambov and Lipetsk. It's a long and boring social scientific story about how I came to choose those oblasts, so I'll spare you the pain.

In any case, I'm hoping I'll have some good stories and pictures for the blog when I come back online in about a week. I have a feeling I'll get some good material: for example, I'm doing a homestay in Tambov with an older woman who reportedly makes moonshine and sells it from her house. Should bring in some colorful characters!

No comments: